His practice is based on the belief that:
“Special People Deserve Special Service”
“A Family only gets to say goodbye once;
The service must be significant,
have meaning and reflect the love of the life lived.”
Thomas Francis Flynn, Jr., (CFSP, SFD, LFD, CLC, CCO), fondly known by many as “Tommy” is the fifth of six children born to Thomas F. & Rita P. Flynn, Sr., they opened the Monroe location in 1954 and the Chester location in 1956. Their tradition of quality and individualized funeral and memorial services lives on in Tommy Flynn.
Tommy found himself at an early age, stating a simple and pure concept after the death of his grandfather – Special people deserve special services and he has based his entire professional model upon that simple approach.
He has mastered multiple strengths in 36 years of working in the funeral, cremation and memorial environment. With all his talents focused on the family that has selected his service, he has a way of celebrating the life lived, which is unique each and every time.
Tommy’s gift of telling the life story or presenting to those the impact of the life lived, on all whom may have come into contact with the deceased is a testament to his faith in human beings in general and the value of life, family, and friends.
Tommy has helped to train staff members at numerous Crematories in the United States regarding correct cremation procedures; he has conducted training seminars for crematories and equipment manufacturers from around the United States. We have also been selected to lecture Mortuary Science students at several major Universities. Major Medical Schools in the Northeast have retained the services of Tommy and his staff to facilitate the final disposition of those donated in the memory of education and science. Tommy has created many memorials (monuments) and has been retained by the Honorable Edward I. Koch, the former Mayor of the City of New York and Dr. Robert Ray Parks the 15th Rector of Trinity Church to design and place their memorials. It’s a credit to Tommy on the manner by which major universities, various religious groups, and individuals from all walks of life, call on him to manage the details that need to be attended to in a calm and professional manner when a death event or ceremony is needed to represent the life lived.
Personal background of Tommy Flynn:
Tommy is married to Margie Patterson-Flynn a local elementary school teacher, and they have four children – Conor Francis (his wife Kathleen), Brendan Thomas, Shannon Marie, and Liam Joseph Flynn. They reside in Monroe, NY – Tommy grew up in the Chester Community. He attended St. Columba R.C. School in Chester, NY and John S. Burke Catholic High School in Goshen, NY. He went on to Mortuary Science College and completed his course of study with High Honors. He began working in the funeral industry on July 3, 1983. Tommy moved back to Chester after completing his Residency program in New York City and was asked by the local Pastor of St. Columba R.C. Church, to help the school by coaching the Basketball team. After the third session of coaching, he met the Third Grade Teacher Margie Patterson and the rest is history, 18 months later Fr. Gorman and Fr. George married Tommy and Margie. He has always been very fond of the lifelong friendships he has developed in the Chester and Monroe area while attending school or playing sports. He has been very active in the Chester and Monroe Communities with various Public and Religious organizations. He enjoys working on behalf of the local food banks and supporting their work. He enjoys the summer season and the New Jersey Shore enjoying time with family and friends. He is very happy that his son Brendan T. Flynn has earned his Funeral Directors License and is working side by side with him.
- Certified Registered Practitioner;
- New York State Licensed Funeral Director Since July 4, 1984;
- State Certified Crematory Operator since 1989 – Former Instructor;
- Cremation Association of North American CCO;
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation CCO;
- National Certified Life Celebrant – 3 Certifications;
- Member of the National Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the New York State Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the Metropolitan Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the New Jersey Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the Orange, Rockland, and Sullivan Counties Funeral Directors Association;
- President and Trustee of Oxford Hills Crematory, Founding Board member since 1988
Community Memberships & Affiliations:
- Ancient Order of Hibernians, Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division 1, Monroe, NY – member since 1983;
- Former President, Vice President, Financial Secretary & Recording Secretary – JDJ – Division 1;
- 2015 Vice President of the Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division 1, Monroe, New York
- 2016 President of the Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division 1, Monroe, New York;
- 2017 President of the Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division 1, Monroe, New York;
- 2017 Orange County, New York Ancient Order of Hibernians, County Vice President;
- Ancient Order of Hibernians Orange County Board Chair;
- Member of the Pipes and Drums of the AOH – Division 1 Band since 1984;
- Knights of Columbus Council 2079, Monroe, New York 4th Degree Knight;
- Charter Member of the 4th Degree K of C, John Cardinal O’Connor Assembly 2640;
- Holy Name Society – Chair of the Annual Corn Beef & Cabbage Dinner;
- Chester Kiwanis – Chair of the Annual Chester Clean Up Day;
- Mid Hudson Parade Committee – E-Journal Chair;
- Mid Hudson Parade Committee – long time sponsor & original Gold & then first Platinum Sponsor;
- Brendan’s Gaelic Football Club, Orange County;
- Chair of the Clergy Dinner of the Orange County AOH and LAOH;
- Community Basketball, Soccer, Baseball & Gaelic Football Coach/Sponsor;
- A lifelong member of St. Columba R. C. Church, Chester, NY;
- Founding Member of the Board Directors of Hospice of Orange & Sullivan;
- Charter Member of Monroe Chamber.